Kingsgate - a Brief History
Researched and written by Bob.
All photographs - Bob.
How Kingsgate got its name:
In 1683, on a sea voyage, King
Charles II was caught in a storm and was landed at what is today
Kingsgate. On his way to higher ground he passed through a 'Gate', to
celebrate his safe landing the King ordered that the gate be renamed
the "King's Gate".
(Gate: either an old term denoting a gap in the cliffs or referring to a stone archway and wooden gate(s) built in such a gap).
below) built in 1760 by Henry Fox, 1st Lord Holland, originally as a
stable block and as staff accommodation for Holland House.
In the early 1900s it was extensively altered and enlarged to much as it appears today.
Another resident was John Lubbock, 1st Baron Avebury.
an MP he introduced many bills including the one that led to the
establishment of Bank Holidays. He died at this castle on May 28th,
Today, the property is divided into private flats.
|The Captain Digby
Public House began its life as the stable block of Bede House and was
developed into a hostelry shortly after the main house fell into the
A tunnel, now blocked and once used for smuggling, led from the Digby's cellar into a cave below at Kingsgate Bay.
folly, apparently built by Lord Holland. Located some distance behind
the Captain Digby public-house, on the edge of the golf course.
Pictured below, left.
Pictured below, right - an internal view.
|A view (pictured right) from the top of the track leading to the beach under Neptune's Tower.
For a view from the beach and more information on this track, including an alleged haunting ...... SEE HERE.